Moving is a headache. What to keep, what to take, what to get rid of? Thinking about how to get through all the sorting, packing, moving, unpacking is the leading cause of procrastination leading to that last minute little-to-no-sleep rush.
The Paso Robles self storage team from Mars Mega Storage has some tips to help streamline the process.
Tip one is to plan out a schedule and stick to it
Tip two is to rent a storage unit. Whether you are moving across town or to a different state, a storage unit is a temporary location to use while sorting through everything and deciding what to keep or not. It’s a place to:
- Store the completely packed and labeled boxes that are ready for the moving van.
- Get those boxes out of the way and reduce the clutter at home.
- Reduce worry. When moving day comes everything is in one location and you don’t have to check the garage and all the closets to make sure nothing is forgotten.
Tip three is to clean out a couple of closets and a couple kitchen cabinets. Use these empty spaces to store items you are going to need until the day of the move. These items include:
- Kitchen and eating utensils (consider switching to disposables to simplify things).
- Cleaning supplies.
- Clothes, toiletries, medications, favorite toys, pet supplies and important papers.
- Bedding and linens that you can pack at the last minute.
Other tips at the top of the list before starting to sort and pack are:
- Rent a dumpster
- Identify charitable organizations that will take donated items
- Get trash bags and good quality packing materials, boxes, tape, labels, protective materials like bubble wrap and paper, black markers and note pads and pens
Working one room at a time, set up boxes, mark a couple for donation and open up a couple of trash bags.
- Put items you don’t want either in a trash bag or a donation box.
- If you are planning for a yard sale or for giving away some items to friends and family, set up extra boxes for those items.
- As you fill each packing box for storage, write the room and contents description on the outside of the box.
- As each trash bag is filled, take it out to the dumpster. Out of sight, out of mind!
- Take filled donation boxes to the car and drop them off as soon as possible.
- Make frequent trips to the storage to unload boxes.
Do a little every day. One box packed and one trash bag filled and tossed is less to do the next day.
The Paso Robles self storage facility has 24/7 personal coded gate access, so you can arrive to unload at your convenience. The well-lighted facility along with wide, paved drive-up access to all of the storage units make for quick and easy in and out. The conference room, stocked with complimentary snacks and beverages is a place you can kick back for a snack, relax and destress before heading back home for more packing.