-Just about everyone has items of value such as important papers and files, books, art work, and collections that need to be stored at some time. Many collections require special handling for storage and the management of Mars Mega Storage in Paso Robles has released tips to help people preserve valuable items.
As with all packing, using the right packing materials is important and in the case of valuable and important items, the right material can make a difference between damaged and preserved items.
One of the first things to do is to check with your insurance company before storing valuables to make sure that you protect the items in the proper manner. Something as simple as folding an item of antique or vintage clothing might damage the fabric.
- Documents, business files, photos and any kind of unframed collectible documents are best preserved using acid-free archival quality storage materials. File folders, boxes and special packing paper and tape all come in archival quality to prevent damage to documents.
- Store framed art and documents upright with a protective layer between each item. Mirror boxes or wood crates are also good for protecting framed art.
- Protect unframed art with a sheet of acid-free paper over the art, sandwiched between two pieces of archival foam core, using acid-free tape.
- Store business files in file cabinets instead of boxes. Using portable disc drives for electronic records is an effective way to preserve files, reports the Paso Robles storage facility management.
- Large sculptures are best protected in wooden crates. Wrap and cushion small items as much as possible and pack them in very sturdy boxes.
- When storing collectible books thoroughly dust each book, flare open the pages and let them air out for a few hours. Used archival boxes and packing paper. Wrap each book individually and don’t pack the boxes too heavy.
- When storing heirloom furniture, clean and oil, then securely wrap and cushion each item.
- Use archival storage boxes and acid-free paper for antique or vintage clothing and fabric. Make sure clothes are cleaned before storing, If an item must be on a hanger, use a hanger designed for preserving fabric. The Smithsonian Institute has some excellent tips for storing antique fabrics, including rugs, tapestries and costumes.
Three important considerations when storing valuable items are:
- Temperature and humidity control helps keep the air inside the unit from becoming too dry or too damp. Storage units at Mars Mega Storage are well insulated units with electrical outlets for a humidifier or fan.
- Units need to be large enough to allow air to circulate. When choosing a storage facility, units in a variety of sizes allows guests to choose the best size. Mars Mega Storage in Paso Robles offers units starting at 5 x 5-feet all the way up to drive-through units up to 60 feet in length.
- Security is always important. State-of-the-art security features such as 17’ steel perimeter walls, an on-site manager, infrared cameras and laser beams, in-unit fire and burglar alarms, extensive lighting, fire hydrants and 24/7 coded gate access add up to a layer of security that gives all Mars Mega Storage guests the highest level of peace-of-mind.
Mars Mega Storage
101 Wellsona Road
Paso Robles, CA 93446